donderdag 21 maart 2013

Stand-up comedian show on the Kepler

After the shower, I had to leave Queenstown, my most favorite place so far, not so much the town,which is boring, but rather the fact that you have mountains everywhere and a gigantic 100km long lake nestled between them. T o Te Anau for my last Great Walk in New Zealand, the Kepler60 easy k's, but not before an overnight stop at the Mavora Lakes where some LOTR were shot, like the last part of the first movie where Sam is drowning and some Fangorn shots . Nothing spectacular, the South Island Robin (bird) was more interesting, though in the end he was really working on my nerves. They are also called the forester's friend, because he is very curious and not afraid of humans. The Kepler's main part is following a ridge, from where you would obviously have nice views. But it was a rainy misty day (again), so there was absolutely nothing to see from the the other valleys and mountains, so I challenged myself to complete the 22km traverse as fast as possible. I was running around without a shirt, and when it was starting to rain I didn't want to put on my rainjacket because then you get wet inside because I doesn't breathe. So while all these hikers covered in their ponchos and head down were trudging along, a naked guy, a.k.a. the Viking from Skägggerak, would come storming down the mountain like a whirlwind, shake them out of their gloomy thoughts and disappear again in the mist. The Japanese tour must have thought i was the Western Yeti or something. But it's just another way to keep your gear dry, and you haveto keep moving or you will get cold. In the end I was totally soaked but we started a fire at the hut and I spent the whole afternoon and evening next toit to dry. Then this awesome - the best ever - ranger came in and started telling with a lot of passion about the birds and animals of the forests, let us hear how a kiwi sounds like, and then he continued with some crazy and super funny hut stories. Here at least I got something back for my money. No boring night, but some animo with the other guests. Now I am 800km on the other side, but that story is for next time.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten